Monday, November 5, 2012

Ugh... Fragments

Okay, so we've been writing steadily (sort of) for five days (FIVE DAYS?! FEELS LIKE TWENTY!) and have realized a lot of things about Nano and writing and English and stupid novels and dictionaries and good sights and so on... and one of those realizations I wanted to talk about is.... fragments.

Du-du-du-duuuh! *dramatic music*
Basically, fragments are sentences that doesn't contain verbs. This is really frowned upon when writing in the English microsoft word, whilst it doesn't even exist in the Swedish one. And honestly? It's really annoying. I'm accustomed to writing a lot of fragments, it's a part of my writing style. They're short sentences to either confirm something or emphasize a question and they are really necessary in dialogues. Or rather, they exist a lot in dialogues. It doesn't sound natural if you don't have fragments when the characters are speaking.

For example, when calling someone's name. Normally, you would just write "Amanda!" but THAT is considered a fragment. So you would have to write something like: "Is that you Amanda?" or "I can see Amanda!" And I know that you don't have to write fragment-less every time, but I can't stand the green underlining. Ugh, I can now consider fragments my mortal enemy! or something like that.

Anyway, the novel is going great (thank god) even though it took a surprising turn (well, I was surprised at least) and that's great. How are your Nano's going? If you have one^^

blah, blah, blah, I'm really supposed to be writing right now,
- Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment